Exfoliation plays an important role in keeping your skin soft and smooth. It can remove dead skin cells that can clog the pores. And you often use a scrub or a loofah to exfoliate. But if not used properly these can do more harm than good.
If used with too much pressure, loofahs and scrubs can hurt your skin. And since you don’t have much control on the pressure with a loofah, it can be abrasive to your skin. Body scrubs, on the other hand, can contain ingredients that you can be allergic to.
A better alternative for exfoliation are exfoliating gloves. This mitten like cloth makes exfoliation easier. Let’s tackle the benefits of using exfoliating gloves and why you should use one.
What is an Exfoliating Glove?
Exfoliating gloves are specifically designed to be worn in your hands and used for exfoliation. It’s also referred to as a body scrubber glove. Some use their exfoliating gloves with gels and others use a sudsy later. These gloves are usually made of mesh or textured materials.
Why Do You Need to Exfoliate
Your body continuously sheds dead skin cells. And if not removed properly, these can just sit on the top layer of your skin. And it can make your skin look dull, dry, and it can clog up your pores.
Exfoliation should be included in your grooming routine. Here are some reasons why.
- It can effectively and safely remove dead skin cells
- This makes your skin look healthy and radiant.
- Exfoliation paves the way for new skin. And when there isn’t a barrier of dead skin cells, your skin can absorb beauty products more.
- Improves blood circulation
- It unclogs pores
- Removes excess oil and dirt buildup
- Proves skin tone and texture
Why Use Exfoliating Gloves
You might have been using a loofah in the shower. Or those strawberry mint scrub is just too tempting not to use. These two are also effective tools for exfoliation. But exfoliating gloves can offer several benefits that these two can’t.
Let’s look at each one.
- Since you wear exfoliating gloves on your hands, it’s easier to change the pressure.
- Scrubbing the far crevices of your skin is more accessible.
- Can last longer than scrubs.
- They are more affordable too.
- Exfoliating gloves are the best option for dry brushing.
- It may be the least abrasive way to exfoliate your skin
- It’s easier to use for the entire body.
What is Dry Brushing?
Everyone does their exfoliation while in the shower right? Not really. Another effective way of exfoliation is dry brushing. And this does not require the need for water or a sudsy lather. But this technique can do wonders for your skin.
Dry brushing is usually done before you step into the shower. And an exfoliating glove is the best tool to use.
Here are some benefits of dry brushing.
- Can effectively remove the buildup of dead skin cells.
- Boost the skin to produce new cells.
- Helps flush out toxins from the body. And this can help reduce cellulite in the body.
How to Choose the Right Exfoliating Glove?
Before we dive into the details on how to use an exfoliating glove, it’s a must to buy a quality one first. Not all exfoliating gloves are made the same. Using one that’s too rough can damage your skin. And one that’s too soft can do nothing for you.
So just remember this. A natural glove is for sensitive skin while a rough glove can be used for dry skin.
How to Use Exfoliating Gloves in the Shower
So let’s go through these simple steps on how to use an exfoliating mitten.
- Wet your entire body and your gloves with water. Be careful not to use hot water. it can dry your skin out. Use warm water instead.
- Apply a pea-size moisturizer or gel into your gloved hand.
- Start working around and massaging your skin with the gloves. It’s ideal to use circular motions for better circulation.
- Towel dry your skin but don’t rub.
- Don’t forget to apply moisturizer after.
- Hang your exfoliating gloves to dry
Ways to Clean your Exfoliating Gloves
All of your dead skin cells have clung to your exfoliating gloves. So it’s warranted to have them properly cleaned. Otherwise, it can be a breeding ground for bacteria and other microorganisms.
- Rinse them thoroughly to remove the dead skin cells and any residue of moisturizers.
- Hang them in someplace dry. The bathroom may not be a good idea as it’s warm and moist. Drying your gloves in a moist environment can make them breeding grounds of harmful microorganisms.
- You can toss it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Just make sure to wet them first so they don’t roast.
- Toss them in the laundry and run in a gentle warm wash.
- You can clean the gloves in the top rack of the dishwasher.
- If it has developed a different color or some odor, toss them in the garbage.
And here are some more useful tips.
- Use separate exfoliating gloves for your acne and your whole body. You don’t want to use the same gloves for your feet and face.
- Some exfoliating gloves are meant to be used on the face only. This may have softer materials compared to the ones for whole body use.
- Replace your exfoliating gloves every single month, even if they still look okay.
Why dry brush?
As compared to wet brushing, dry brushing can improve blood circulation without robbing your skin of its moisture. The hot water used in the shower can make your skin dry.
How often should I exfoliate?
When using the gloves in your shower, exfoliate 1-2 times a week. And for dry brushing, it depends on your skin type. But it’s normally safe to dry brush using exfoliating gloves at least once a week. If you live in a warmer client or have oily skin, you can exfoliate more often.
Can I dry brush if I have sensitive skin?
If your skin is inflamed, red, irritated, or has lesions, never attempt to dry brush.
What are the advantages of exfoliating in the shower?
The use of sudsy lather and moisturizers can make your skin softer. And this makes it easier to use bath gloves especially if you have really dry skin.
Exfoliating gloves are the best and safest tool that you can use for exfoliation. And if you want smooth and radiant skin, you have to exfoliate at least once a week. But don’t forget to clean or replace your exfoliating gloves when it’s needed! Otherwise, you can do more harm than good.
And there are several benefits of using exfoliating gloves. And it can make exfoliation more satisfying and easier too.